Monday, January 18, 2010

Home Hub Here We Go!

Over the Christmas holidays, a long lost friend came to visit me.  As our boys played so nicely, we were able to have hot tea and chat.  She was telling me that she does pretty well with the STUFF in their home, but is overwhelmed by paperwork chaos.  Her system is a familiar one:  Allow the paper work to accumulate until it gets overwhelming (or until company is on their way).  Then shove all papers into gift bags and stack the bags in a closet. Well, that is starting to take up quite a bit of closet space for her.  Not to mention that the papers that enter the bags are sentenced to life imprisonment “never to be heard from again”. 

I brought out my completed Home Hub and an empty Home Hub consisting of: binder, business card page, sheet protectors, pocketed dividers, pencil pouch, pen and post-its.  We talked about her categories of paper and what she could do with the binder.  She perused the one that I have for our family.  And she left my home not only with a new idea for her paperwork, but with a weight lifted.  She felt empowered to do something about her situation. 

Would you like control over your paperwork clutter too?  Would you like to feel empowered by a system that YOU can create to fit your own personal needs?  That’s what a Home Hub is all about.

Here is a general Home Hub guideline and FAQ.

~What is a Household/Home Hub Binder? Its essence is that it should be a manual for your daily life. This is the place to keep your - weekly schedule, grocery lists, take out menus, sales ads/coupons, financial information, school fliers, business cards, contact info.

~How do I start? Gather all of your paper and see what it is that you need to put into your binder. Make stacks of like items (finances all together, school stuff all together, etc). Use stickies to label each broad category. Write labels for sub categories as well.

~Now what? Assemble your binder by using the categories you've created. Use pocket dividers, sheet protectors, and business card sleeves where necessary. Include a pencil pouch in the front of the binder to hold extra pens, stamps (for bill paying and correspondence), a mini calculator, and other small items.

image

 

Other uses for a Home Hub Binder:

~ New Home Owner Manual - paint colors, service companies, age of appliances. (Great Gift!) ~ Vacation Home Manual - emergency contacts, operating systems, local favorites. ~ Finance Only Binder - track investments, bank statement, and account info. ~ Health Hub - Medical/Shot Records, Insurance Info, Explanation of Benefits/Dates of Service. ~ Decorator's Dream - Fabric Samples, Paint Chips, Magazine Inspiration Pages, Measurements. ~ Correspondence with your nanny/childcare - notes, schedules, plans of action, emergency info.

Paperwork is my number one nemesis.  It comes into the home constantly and from many different sources.  It is often difficult to know what to do with it all!  So tell me fellow Home Hubbers, what are your questions, concerns, points of advice? If you are interested in a workshop session, leave a comment or send an e-mail. I'd love to help you bring order to your paperwork chaos.  Many of you are in the process of trying to assemble your own Household Hub Binders. If you need personal assistance, I am free to workshop it with you alone or in a party with your friends.

If you are in the Jacksonville/St. Johns area and would like your home or paperwork better organized, and would like the assistance of a professional organizer, e-mail juliebavi@gmail.com  You can also find me on Facebook by clicking HERE or searching for Organize With Julie.  Stalk me on twitter @juliebavi.

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great info! I had let mine slide over the last several months, but I got it back out last week and started updating it. It's amazing how much more organized I am when I'm keeping track of everything in my binder!

Your Organizing Guru said...

I'm glad the system is working for you! Isn't it good when we find something little that makes life SO much better?
@juliebavi

C. Camel said...

These are great suggestions. I may need a lot of binders though, I have paper cuts all over my ankles just from wading through it all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great inspiration. I think I will start my home binder tomorrow. What a life saver!