Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday’s Words of Wisdom

"I like spring, but it is too young.
I like summer, but it is too proud.
So I like best of all autumn, because its tone is mellower,
its colours are richer, and it is tinged with a little sorrow.

Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring,
nor the power of summer,
but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age.

It knows the limitations of life and its content.

From a knowledge of those limitations and its richness of experience
emerges a symphony of colours, richer than all,
its green speaking of life and strength,
its orange speaking of golden content and
its purple of resignation and death."

~  Lin Yutang

Technorati Tags: ,,,,

1 comment:

Janet Barclay said...

I've realized over the last couple of years that autumn is my favorite season and this poem captures beautifully the reasons why, which I really couldn't put my finger on before.

You wait for spring for what seems like an eternity but when it comes it's cool and damp. Summer is often too hot and humid. But every warm day of autumn feels like a real gift, as you never know how many of those days you'll have before winter sets in again.