Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Year. New Closet.

I am so excited about 2011 and organizing that I spent some time re-vamping my own closet today.  It was a blast!  Closets are often neglected because they are the clutter you can’t see.  It’s easy to shut the door and have everything “out of sight, out of mind”.  However, it can be really stressful to get ready in the morning when the hunt for clothes takes so much time.  It doesn’t take a fortune to make over your closet.  It’s time to take a deep breath and let the skeletons, or at least the clutter, out of your closet.

Where do I start?

The SORT
Make your bed.  :)
Take everything out of the closet and lay it on your bed.  (That’s why you have to make your bed first!)
Try to keep/put like things together if this is possible.
Separate the empty hangers from the dressed hangers. 

The PURGE
This is one of those times where we can really see the 80/20 principle in action.  We use 20% of our stuff 80% of the time.  We wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time.  So why do we own the other 80%?  And what can we do about it?  Purge.

How do I know what to purge? 
If you do not LOVE it…
If it does not look good on you…
If it is old, faded, or otherwise beyond repair… 
If it does not properly fit…
If it is too big or too small…
If it is from a different era of you life…
If there are multiples of the same or a very similar item…
It is time to let it go.

What do I do with the things I have purged?
TRASH - if it is worn out, needs repair, etc PLEASE do not donate it.  It has live its life and served its useful purpose and now it is time to let go.
DONATE– There is a plethora of local places just waiting for your wonderful items to come along.  Think about the local City Rescue Mission, Food Banks, as well as Goodwill and Salvation Army
CONSIGN– This is a great option if you have brand name clothes that no longer fit your body or your style.  You will not make back your entire investment.  It is a way to ease the pain of letting go.  ***Make sure you know the rules of the particular shop before you choose this option.
HAND DOWN – Maybe you have a co-worker, neighbor, or friend who could benefit from some of your castoffs.  Many MOPS groups have a clothing trade for children’s clothes.
OTHER OPTIONS – ONLY if you are disciplined enough to set a “good-bye” date and time - freecycle.com, craigslist.com, ebay.com, yard sale

Now that you’ve purged it is time for the…
RELOAD.
Group like things together. 
T-shirts, Dress Shirts, Collared Shirts.  Pants.  Skirts.  Dresses. Ties.  Scarves. 
Group like colors together. 
Use baskets and bins to group smaller items together on shelves.  These don’t have to be fancy.  You can use shoeboxes for ties and smaller wallets.  Turn a milk crate on it’s side to store purses.  Purchase baskets or small canvas bins to store out of season items.  The important thing is to keep LIKE with LIKE.
Stick small plastic hooks on the wall to hold caps and belts.

 

image

This is an Itso Fabric Cube from Target.  They come in many colors are are super sturdy!

Things to keep in mind for organizing Kids’ Closets.
Make it accessible.
-What they cannot reach or see they will not use.
Keep it kid friendly.
- Make it easy to choose outfits and easy to put things away.

How do I know how to divide the clothing in a Kid’s Closet? 
Well, a definite must in any BABY closet would be to divide by size.  They grow from those 6 month to the 9 month clothes in no time!  What a great way to keep track! (Note sizes aren’t always accurate, so keep a watch on lengths, etc).
For older children (just like
adults) I recommend ordering the closet by type of clothing.  Not only are you doing yourself a favor now, you are teaching them how to have an organized closet for their grown up life.  Remove any outgrown clothing as you sort. 

I keep a box in the bottom of the closet for things to donate/hand down.  As my son outgrows an item I don’t hang it back up when it returns through the laundry cycle.  I simply toss it into the box.

I keep a basket in the top of the closet for clothing items that my son is not yet ready to use due to size or season.  When he hits a growth spurt or the weather changes, I check that basket first before I plan any shopping.

Thank you for joining me on this journey through the closet.  Let me know what your tips are for keeping your clothes in check.  What are your problem closet areas?

If you are in the Jacksonville/St. Johns area and would like your home better organized, and would like the assistance of a professional organizer, e-mail juliebavi@gmail.com  You can also find me on Facebook by clicking HERE or by searching for Organize With Julie.  Stalk me on twitter @juliebavi.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know I need to do this, but I just can NOT get excited about it. I really, really don't want to. The terrible thing is that I did it just about 6 or 7 months ago, and it's a mess again. Ergh.